<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 01, 2007

DOING WHAT I DREAD: Week 1
Saturday, June 3oth

What: helping my wife's brother's family move

Beginning this week, each week I am going to try to focus on a task, some task; suck it up and do something that I don't want to do. Depending on the activity, it may be something I am dreading, something I don't want to do, or something that I have just been too lazy to do. It may be a work task that I've been putting off, a house project that I never finished or just a blog post that isn't writing itself. The point is that I need to address my laziness, my selfishness and my propensity for not finishing what I start. Then I will blog about it here.

This weekend, my wife and I drove from Arlington to Richmond to help her brother move. Her brother has two sons, ages 6 years and 6 months, which limited how much help his wife could be. My father in law recently injured two fingers in a lawnmower mishap, limiting his usefulness (as it turned out, not really).

We left Arlington at around 9am, but because this is the weekend before the 4th of July, there was A LOT of traffic! It took us 3 hours, about twice as long as it should have.

Most of the moving truck was packed when we arrived - our usefulness would be unloading the truck at the new house.

The thing about her brother is that he has SO MUCH SHIT! He owns a lot of books, which are heavy but he also used to collect comic books, which he still has; death metal tapes which he still has; vinyl which he still has and CDs which he still has. This is the second time I've moved all that crap, although he has apparently had a lot of success getting rid of some of that stuff on ebay.

He was very thankful and appreciative but the biggest thanks came from my father-in-law, he of the lawn-mowered fingers. He said, "I know that you helped Ryan, but more importantly, you helped me."

Next time:

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?